POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stony ground with ant (218K) : Re: Stony ground with ant (218K) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stony ground with ant (218K)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 6 May 2010 05:22:55
Message: <4be28a6f@news.povray.org>

> I think the sand or dirt could use a bit more color variation among the
> 'grains'

   It *HAS* a very wide variation in grain colors, but the focal blur makes
it almost disappear... and if I make the grain bigger to avoid this, it
doesn't look like grains anymore. :(

> but those chaotic pebbles are quite amazing, *so* real. I tried something
> similar in the past, but never even came close to what you've done.

   Me too, tried it before but never got it right... I think it's due to the
fact that I was always using a single while loop to place the pebbles, but
this time used 3 loops, with increasing random sizes and decreasing number
of pebbles. Also, the pebbles are not totally random in their placement, as
I used a pigment function (granite) to determine if a pebble should be
placed or not. And BTW, it is just a single mesh pebble made with
Wings3d... :)

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

http://www.ignorancia.org